Well that was our intent! If you read my blog then you know I posted last Thursday about my daughter’s gallbladder surgery that was scheduled for Friday morning. What you will also notice is that I am just now getting to update about her surgery. I have failed to do so before now because her surgery didn’t happen!!
YEP … I was as confused as you are when the surgeon told me they were going to have to postpone the surgery for a while and the look on Heather’s face absolutely scared me to death. I will start from the beginning …
We got up early Friday morning and headed to the Same Day Surgery unit. We arrived promptly at 8am and was ushered into a room where Heather was asked to put on the hospital gown and she was also told they needed a urine sample. Once this was all done they proceeded to start an IV and to also give her an IV antibiotic. Her nurse had also put a little patch behind her ear to help with the nausea she has been experiencing for about three months now. Another nurse brought in a pair of TED hose and we got those put on her legs. Everything was done and Heather was ready for surgery. All we had to do was wait for her turn. We waited … and waited … and then Heather’s nurse came in and took the patch off from behind her ear. We thought that was odd since she had already told Heather that it could stay on for 24 hours and would help reduce any post surgical nausea that she may have. The nurse explained it by saying that since Heather experiences some allergic reactions to adhesive materials they are going to Plan B for treating the nausea. Heather asked her want Plan B was and she said she didn’t know yet and we would have to wait for the doctor to find out.
A few minutes later Dr. R come strolling in and asked that all of us who was with Heather please step out of the room so he could talk with her. We obliged and after a few minutes he cracked open the door and asked me to rejoin them. I did and I was mortified by the look on Heather’s face. She looked like someone had just given her a death sentence. She was crying uncontrollably and I just about lost it! Dr. R began his doctor spill explaining to me that he wouldn’t be doing the surgery and when I asked why he proceeded to tell me that before they do any type of surgery on a female of child bearing years they are required by law to first do a pregnancy test … and … well … I think you’ve figured out the rest … The urine test they did when we first arrived … was positive … Heather is pregnant!!
After the initial shock wore off we went into panic mode which is where we have been ever since. Dr. R followed through and got Heather setup with the OB of our choice and he is seeing her on an emergency type basis this Wednesday. Our fears are in all of the testing Heather has been through the past few weeks as well as her having a non-functioning gallbladder and how all of this is going to play out in a pregnancy. We’re also not 100% sure how far along she is. A tenative due date based on her last period is around March 26, 2009 but since Heather’s periods have never been truly regular it’s hard to say. She had a normal period in June then something that resembled the very end of a period in July so she just figured that July was an off month for her period and gave it no other thought. None of the other health care people she has been in contact with had reason to believe she was pregnant so pregnancy testing just didn’t happen. We’re praying that everything will be OK and if it isn’t … then we will deal with it as we need to. We see the OB on Wednesday and I’ll try to update Thursday and let you all know what we found out … till then … say a few prayers.