It’s Official!

All of my testing is done. If I had to choose the one I hated the most, it would, without a doubt, be the Stress Echo. Oh My Granny! That was the most horrible thing I honestly believe I have ever endured!  Now that all of the test are behind me it is time to move on to the important stuff … SURGERY!

I am excited to announce that I have an official surgery date scheduled. I have pre-op testing on Friday, October 14, 2011. That will pretty much be an all day event. I will see the surgeon to confirm that my weight is where it needs to be and that nothing new has occurred since my initial visit with him. I will then go to the hospital to preregister and visit with Anesthesia. There may or may not be additional blood work done by Anesthesia. Of course my hopes are .. NOT. I’ve had enough testing to last me a lifetime.  I was a little surprised to find out that my surgery is actually at the St. Joseph Campus of Mission Hospital System rather than at Mission itself. It’s ok … just surprised is all.  My mama had her knee replacements both done at St. Joseph and she did okay. I don’t have to worry about eating hospital food so my only concern will be my care. I just hope they don’t stick me down on the end of a hallway and forget about me being there 🙂

Once everything is completed on the 14th I’ll spend the weekend ‘putting my affairs in order’.  This will include pre-packing as much of the boys lunch as I can and matching outfits for them to wear to school while I am in the hospital. Hopefully only two days!  Peyton will stay with my Mama so his clothes will have to be packed. I’ll have to prepare a bag for myself and charge my laptop so I can keep up.   Heather will be home for Brady & Chance but I’m the one who always does these things, so to save confusion, aggravation, and worry I’ll do as much as I can before hand so all she’ll have to do is toss Brady’s lunch in his bag and get them dressed for the day.  Shouldn’t be to tough … right??

Bright and early on Monday morning, October 17th, 2011,  I’ll head on over to Asheville for the day I’ve waited for since early spring. I have to arrive at St. Joseph Hospital at 7:00 am.  Surgery is scheduled for 9:00am. All is well and at peace in my heart about this surgery.  I have considered all options and at this point I believe this is the best option for me.

On Monday, October 3, 2011 I will begin a high protein liquid diet. The liquid diet will continue for two to three weeks after my surgery. Does this bother me? Of course it does! I am a meat and potato person.  Can I survive on liquids alone?  You bet I can!  It’s part of the process and something that isn’t foreign to me. I’ve known since the beginning a time would come when I had to stop eating completely … no solids … no meat … no potatoes. Only thing I can put in my mouth has to be considered liquid.  NOW … that does include things like sugar free jello/puddings, low fat/fat free yogurt, and sugar free popsicles.   I will be drinking a lot of diet green tea, three or four protein shakes per day, lots of water and Crystal Light.  I’ll have beef and chicken broth with added protein powder and the final downside … I will have to completely give up my Diet Pepsi.  I’ve cut way down … now it’s time to give them up for good.  I do, however, plan to go out this weekend and have a large ribeye steak, baked potato loaded with butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon, a salad, and a glass or two of sweet tea.

Keep an eye out over the next couple of weeks … I may post some recent photos and some photos of my liquid diet. I will definitely have surgery day photos and post surgery photos. Hopefully as the weight comes off I’ll find myself wanting to be in front of the camera more often.


Quick Update …

Stress Echo and Chest X-Ray is scheduled for Monday, September 26th.  Next step will be to schedule surgery!!!

Also … received a call today with my Endoscopy results. I did test positive for H Pylori Bacteria which requires two weeks of medication before I can have surgery. I start that medication this afternoon so I should still be good for surgery in about two and a half to three weeks.

I’m getting excited!!

One Final Test Then …

I have one final hurdle to cross and I will be ready to schedule my surgery.  I received Insurance approval on September 12th and made several calls before I was finally able to speak with the right person to get these last test scheduled.  Yesterday morning, bright and early, I woke up and drove over to Asheville to have the Endoscopy done. I had hoped to work part of the day but the sedation meds they used kicked this old girls tail. I feel like I lost part of a day in life. I honestly don’t remember the trip home and I slept most of the afternoon on the sofa at Mama’s then slept really good last night.  While I still felt a little sluggish this morning, as the day has progressed, I have felt more alert and awake.

I was finally able to schedule the last pre-op tests needed.  I go on Monday, Sept. 26, 2011 for the Stress Echo and the Chest X-Ray.  Again, two simple test that do not require a lot of time. I dread the stress echo but it’s a short lived experience and it does put me one step closer to my surgery.  Once these tests are complete on Monday I’m hoping to get a call later next week to schedule my surgery.

Now to get back on the correct eating path and get/keep the extra weight off and be prepared for the two week liquid diet.  Sorta like the Little Engine That Could … I think I can … I think I can … I think I can …

Another Step & A Few More To Go

Not a lot has happened since my last post. I’ve continued to watch my diet with increased proteins and low fat foods. It’s been a struggle but worth every fight I’ve had to have with myself to walk away from things I know I’m not supposed to eat.

I did see the surgeon on Friday, September 2nd. I got a lot of good information and encouraging news from him. He is a very nice man and easy to talk with. He went deep into detail about what the surgery is for, how it works, how it is done, and what I can expect afterwards … both the good and the bad. I’m going to stay positive that nothing bad will happen and I will be nothing but successful with this tool that will help me with my journey to be a happier, healthier ME.  After all, isn’t that what this is all about anyway?

I’m hoping to have insurance approval by the end of this week/first of next at the very latest. Once I have received the insurance approval I will be scheduled for the two final tests … Stress Echo to make sure my heart is okay, and an Endoscopy to make sure there isn’t anything that would hinder success after the surgery. Once they staple off the larger section of my stomach they won’t be able to go back in there without opening my my abdominal cavity so they have to make sure there isn’t anything in there now that could pose a problem down the road. When those two tests are complete then I’ll be ready to schedule my surgery. Depending on how long my insurance takes to give approval, I could conceivably have my surgery within 4-6 weeks.  I was hoping more line 3-4 but that’s really pushing it.  Everything depends on the insurance and believe me when I say that I will drive those people crazy until they get their job done and file the paperwork.  It’s a basic form letter they have to send to the Insurance Company so it shouldn’t be that hard to do.  As soon as I have dates I’ll let you all know.

Thank you again for taking this journey with me!