Two Weeks Liquid, Pre-Registration, & Getting the Kids Ready

Sure sounds like a lot to cover but really it isn’t.  This installment of my journey to Gastric Bypass will go pretty quick.

I began the required two week liquid diet on Monday morning October 3, 2011. In preparation for what I knew as to come I did the proper shopping and made sure I was well stocked with liquid nourishment high in protein then I ate … and I ate … and … well you get the picture.  I enjoy my final weekend down to the last supper which was pizza. Some of the foods I ate over the weekend included prime rib – twice!, baked potatoes, salads, rolls, biscuit & gravy, pizza, and I think we even had fast food once. I don’t remember everything but I do know I ate and I enjoyed it.  On Monday morning I woke up with a new thought process and that was to get through this liquid diet on a positive note and be successful with where my weight needed to be at my Pre-Op appointment so I could have my surgery.  I hit a few hurdles along the way but for the most part the two weeks went smooth, I didn’t starve to death, and most importantly I got my weight and BMI where it needed to be for surgery.

On Friday, October 14th I had my final visit with the surgeon and received my pre-op instructions. There weren’t many. The hardest was reducing my already tough diet to clear liquids on Sunday before my surgery. I was also given a couple of special surgical sponges to bath with. One on Sunday night and the other on Monday morning.  I was then sent to the hospital to pre-register. That process was relatively painless.  I had to answer a bunch of questions and have some blood drawn then I was on my way home.

The weekend was crazy!! That’s crazy to say the least.  It was a constant run.  I felt like I had to get everything together including the boys stuff for the next week and also wanted to do some dishes so that Heather wouldn’t have to worry about meals while I was in the hospital.   Peyton was staying with my mom so that also meant that I felt compelled to make food to take there as well.  Over the weekend I made a chicken noodle casserole and a pan of stuffed shells. I knew this would cover two meals and I was hoping to be home by Wednesday which meant that if necessary I could make dinner at home myself.  In addition to the cooking I took time to match up clothes for the boys to wear which meant three outfits each, everything included and I individually bagged each day and labeled them for which day they were for.  I then laid out, bagged individually each days lunch for Peyton & Brady with instructions as to what needed to be added from the freezer or refrigerator.  It was a tedious task for me but it made it very simple for everyone involved.

Once meals were cooked and Peyton was packed I headed off with him to Mama’s late on Sunday afternoon.  While I was with Mama I had to help get her bath since she is still recovering from her broken wrist and shoulder blade. I didn’t mind at all … it was just time consuming.

After I got back home I still had my thing to get together and just clean everything up in general.  I wanted to leave my house in the best shape possible and hope that’s how it would be when I came home.  Needless to say it wasn’t … but it could have been a lot worse.   I packed my bag for the hospital, gathered all of the papers I needed for the next morning and about 11pm I headed to get the first shower required with the special surgical soap sponges.  After my shower I went to bed hoping to get some sleep. I had to leave by 5:30 am on Monday morning to be at the hospital by 7:00am.  Sleep didn’t come easy but I managed!

I am grateful my daughter, Stasha had come to spend the night with us and she was going to be with me on Monday morning. I also knew Heather would be there when she was finished with her school things.  It was comforting to know that my daughters were going to put their differences aside and spend the day supporting me and my decision.

Stay tuned for more and I do promise … pictures and numbers are coming!


1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. Tammy
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 12:04:48

    Wow! Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out for you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: